Alana E. Fortna
Area of Emphasis
Alana Fortna is an associate in the Litigation and Employment & Labor groups of Babst Calland. Ms. Fortna’s practice involves complex commercial litigation with a focus primarily on environmental litigation and employment litigation. In her environmental practice, she has experience representing clients in large-scale cost recovery actions under CERCLA and state law statutes, actions seeking injunctive relief under RCRA, and citizens’ suits brought under various federal statutes and regulatory programs including the Clean Water Act and the Clean Air Act. In her employment practice, Ms. Fortna has experience defending clients in claims under the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and Title VII. She has represented clients in state court in Pennsylvania, as well as federal courts across the country. Ms. Fortna has handled appeals in the Seventh Circuit, the D.C. Circuit, the Third Circuit, and the Superior Court of Pennsylvania.
Ms. Fortna graduated with high distinction from The Pennsylvania State University in 2007 with a B.S. in Crime, Law and Justice, with an emphasis in legal studies. She received her J.D. from Duquesne University School of Law in 2010 where she graduated magna cum laude. While at Duquesne, Ms. Fortna was a member of the trial advocacy program and competed in the Buffalo-Niagara National Mock Trial Competition in Buffalo, New York. She was selected by members of the Duquesne faculty to be a member of the National Order of Barristers for her participation and performance as a student advocate. Ms. Fortna also served as a summer law clerk to Justice Debra Todd of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.
Memberships and Affiliations
Ms. Fortna was admitted to the Pennsylvania Bar in 2010 and the Western District of Pennsylvania in 2011; and is admitted to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third, Seventh and D.C. Circuits and the Supreme Court of the United States. She is a member of the Allegheny County, Pennsylvania and American Bar Associations. Ms. Fortna is also a member of the Toxic Torts and Environmental Law Committee of the Defense Research Institute (DRI) and actively participates in planning activities for the Committee’s annual seminar. She currently serves as the Vice President of the Executive Board of Club Red, the Young Professionals Group of the American Red Cross of Southwestern Pennsylvania.
- Co-presenter, “CERCLA and Beyond: Environmental Update on Issues of Impact,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute, October 2017.
- Author, “EPA Final Rule Adds Vapor Intrusion to Hazard Ranking System,” The Voice, February 15, 2017.
- Moderator, “In the Know—Emerging Environmental Legal Challenges and Issues from an In-house Perspective,” Defense Research Institute, Toxic Torts and Environmental Law Seminar, March 2016.
- Co-presenter, “Advanced Piercing the Corporate Veil,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute, June 2013 and June 2016.
- Co-presenter, “The Litigation Hold: Why All Attorneys Need to Consider It,” In-house CLE, October 2014.
- Co-author, “Labor Law Primer/Refresher on Strikes and Picketing,” the 29th Annual Construction Labor Symposium, April 2013.
Alana E. Fortna
- Employment & Labor
B.S. in Crime, Law and Justice, with an Emphasis in Legal Studies, Pennsylvania State University, with high distinction, '07
J.D., Duquesne University School of Law, magna cum laude, '10