Robert M. Stonestreet
Area of Emphasis
Robert Stonestreet is a shareholder in the Environmental, Litigation and Energy and Natural Resources practice groups. With a practice focused on litigation, Mr. Stonestreet has represented clients in a wide variety of litigation matters. These include suits involving real property title disputes, mineral leases, premises liability, complex commercial disputes, personal injury/wrongful death, land contamination, and consumer finance.
Mr. Stonestreet has tried multiple cases to verdict in both state and federal courts, and before administrative agencies. He has served as lead counsel in appeals to the West Virginia Supreme Court and the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals.
In addition to litigation, Mr. Stonestreet assists clients with environmental issues facing the energy industry arising under the Clean Water Act, Endangered Species Act, and related state and federal regulatory programs. His experience working with energy companies, both in West Virginia and throughout the region, has enabled him to guide clients through a myriad of challenges in the constantly evolving regulatory framework under federal and state environmental laws.
Mr. Stonestreet graduated from Marshall University, summa cum laude, with a B.A. in History in 2000. He is a long time officer and committee member of the Marshall University Quarterback Club of Charleston, and recently served as president. He received his J.D. from West Virginia University College of Law in 2003. While attending law school, Mr. Stonestreet served as executive manuscript editor of the West Virginia Law Review, and later graduated in the top five percent of his class.
Memberships and Affiliations
Mr. Stonestreet is admitted to practice in West Virginia, Ohio, the United States District Courts for the Southern and Northern Districts of West Virginia, and the United States Courts of Appeals for the Fourth, Sixth, and Ninth Circuits. He is a member of the Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia’s Energy Committee, the Defense Research Institute (DRI), and the Energy & Mineral Law Foundation. He serves as board member for the Kanawha Valley Mining Institute, and has been appointed to serve on the Putnam County Board of Zoning Appeals.
Mr. Stonestreet has been ranked in Chambers USA’s America’s Leading Business Lawyers. He has been named in The Best Lawyers of America® and also recognized as a West Virginia Super Lawyer.
- Presenter, “Held by Operations: Keeping Your Lease Alive,” American Association of Professional Landmen seminar, March 9, 2017.
- Author and Presenter, “Cooperative Federalism and Environmental Laws: Coping with Two Masters,” Energy & Mineral Law Foundation’s Annual Institute, June 22, 2015.
- Panelist, “Litigation Issues in West Virginia Energy Law,” West Virginia Defense Trial Counsel, April 23, 2013.
- Author, “Force Majeure for Sure? Contractual Coal Supply Obligations in a Changing World,” 30 Energy & Min. L. Inst. 5 (2009).
- Author, “You Have No Idea – Environmental Regulation of the Coal Industry,” 25 Energy & Min. L. Inst. 133 (2005).
- Author, “Replacing a Solid Wall with a Chain Link Fence: Special Relationship Analysis for Tort Recovery of Purely Economic Loss,” 105 W. Va. L. Rev. 213 (2002).
Robert M. Stonestreet
- Energy & Natural Resources
- West Virginia
B.A. in History, Marshall University, summa cum laude, ‘00
J.D., West Virginia University College of Law, ‘03