Katrina N. Bowers
Area of Emphasis
Katrina Bowers is an associate in Babst Calland’s Energy and Natural Resources and Litigation groups. Ms. Bowers’ practice focuses primarily on representing oil and gas companies in litigation concerning a variety of matters including trespass, negligence, property damage, royalty payments, toxic torts, title disputes, breach of contract, and fraud. Additionally, she advises oil and gas companies regarding proposed, pending, and enacted safety, health, and environmental regulations. Also, Ms. Bowers has represented coal operators in cases alleging adverse treatment, deliberate intent, and wrongful termination. Further, she has represented clients against civil penalties and violations issued by the Mine Safety and Health Administration and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
Ms. Bowers graduated cum laude with a B.A. in Public Relations from Marshall University. She matriculated from the West Virginia University College of Law in 2013, where she served on the Moot Court Board and as the president of the Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia’s Student Society. During law school, Ms. Bowers worked as an intern for the Uniform Law Commission reviewing proposed uniform laws and rendering recommendations to the West Virginia Legislature based upon the same.
Memberships and Affiliations
Ms. Bowers is admitted to the West Virginia Bar and the U.S. District Court for the Southern and Northern Districts of West Virginia. She is actively involved in the Defense Research Institute and the Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia, where she has chaired the Safety and Health Committee, and participated in the Energy and Safety and Health committees. In 2016, Ms. Bowers was named the Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia Young Lawyer of the Year. She is an active member of the Independent Oil and Gas Association, the West Virginia Oil and Natural Gas Association, the Energy and Mineral Law Foundation, and the Women’s Energy Network. Also, Ms. Bowers is a member of the Leadership West Virginia class of 2018 and the West Virginia Symphony League.
- Presenter, “Oil and Natural Gas Legal Update,” WVONGA’s 5th Annual Embracing Energy, December 2018.
- Author and Presenter, “Litigation Update for the Shale Plays,” 9th Law of Shale Plays Conference, September 2018.
- Co-Author and Co-Presenter, “Pitfalls Associated with Affiliate Transactions in the Gas Industry,” EMLF Annual Institute, June 2018.
- Co-Author, “Royalty Litigation Update: Navigating Changing Currents,” 8th Law of Shale Plays Conference, September 2017.
- Co-Author, “Recent Safety Related Initiatives in Energy Industries,” DTCWV Annual Notebook of Articles, 2016.
- Co-Author, “Fee Shifting Under § 1983: What Every Practitioner Should Know”, DTCWV Annual Notebook of Articles, 2016.
- Co-Author, “MSHA’s Trends in Enforcement,” DTCWV Defender, Winter 2015.
- Co-Author, “The Arrival of Proximity Detectors: Good Things Come to Those Who Wait?” DTCWV Annual Notebook of Articles, 2015.
- Author, “Revision to W.Va. Code §23-4-2(d)(2)(ii) (the ‘Deliberate Intent’ Statute),” DTCWV Annual Notebook of Articles, 2015.
Katrina N. Bowers
- Energy & Natural Resources
- West Virginia
B.A. in Public Relations, Marshall University, cum laude, '10
J.D., West Virginia University College of Law, '13