Robert M. Stonestreet
Area of Emphasis
Robert Stonestreet is a shareholder in the Environmental, Litigation, and Energy and Natural Resources practice groups. With a practice focused on litigation, Mr. Stonestreet has represented clients in a wide variety of litigation matters in West Virginia and Ohio. These include suits involving mineral leases, mineral trespass, royalty disputes, property damage, premises liability, complex commercial disputes, personal injury/wrongful death, land contamination, government enforcement action, and real property title.
Mr. Stonestreet has tried multiple cases to verdict in both state and federal courts, and before administrative agencies. He has served as lead counsel in appeals to the West Virginia Supreme Court and the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals.
In addition to litigation, Mr. Stonestreet assists clients with environmental issues facing the energy industry arising under the Clean Water Act, Endangered Species Act, Surface Mine Control and Reclamation Act, and related state and federal regulatory programs, such as the West Virginia Natural Gas Horizontal Well Control Act and West Virginia Aboveground Storage Tank Act. His experience working with energy companies in West Virginia and Ohio has enabled him to guide clients through a myriad of challenges in the constantly evolving regulatory framework under federal and state environmental laws.
Mr. Stonestreet graduated from Marshall University, summa cum laude, with a bachelor’s degree in History in 2000. He received his law degree from West Virginia University College of Law in 2003. While attending law school, Mr. Stonestreet served as Executive Manuscript Editor of the West Virginia Law Review and graduated in the top five percent of his class.
Memberships and Affiliations
Mr. Stonestreet is admitted to practice in West Virginia, Ohio, the United States District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of West Virginia and the Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio, and the United States Courts of Appeals for the Fourth, Sixth, and Ninth Circuits. He is a member of the Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia’s Energy Committee, Independent Oil and Gas Association of West Virginia’s Environment Committee, the Defense Research Institute (DRI), and the Energy & Mineral Law Foundation. He is also the past president of the Air & Waste Management Association, West Virginia Chapter, past chair of the Water Subcommittee of the West Virginia Chamber of Commerce’s Environment Committee, and past president of the Marshall University Quarterback Club of Charleston.
Mr. Stonestreet has been ranked in Chambers USA’s America’s Leading Business Lawyers. He has been named in The Best Lawyers of America® and also recognized as a West Virginia Super Lawyer.
- Presenter, “Critical Habitat Designations Under the Endangered Species Act,” Shale Gas Law Conference, November 9, 2018; West Virginia Chamber of Commerce Environment and Energy Conference, May 23, 2018.
- Presenter, “Regulatory Issues Associated with Underground Storage of Natural Gas Liquids,” West Virginia Energy Institute, August 22, 2017.
- Presenter, “Held by Operations: Keeping Your Lease Alive,” West Virginia Oil and Natural Gas Association Spring Meeting, May 17, 2017; American Association of Professional Landmen seminar, March 9, 2017.
- Author and Presenter, “Cooperative Federalism and Environmental Laws: Coping with Two Masters,” Energy & Mineral Law Foundation’s Annual Institute, June 22, 2015.
- Presenter, “Current Issues in Storm Water Regulation in West Virginia,” Lorman seminar, October 2, 2014.
- Panelist, “Litigation Issues in West Virginia Energy Law,” West Virginia Defense Trial Counsel, April 23, 2013.
- Author, “Force Majeure for Sure? Contractual Coal Supply Obligations in a Changing World,” 30 Energy & Min. L. Inst. 5 (2009).
- Author, “You Have No Idea – Environmental Regulation of the Coal Industry,” 25 Energy & Min. L. Inst. 133 (2005).
- Author, “Replacing a Solid Wall with a Chain Link Fence: Special Relationship Analysis for Tort Recovery of Purely Economic Loss,” 105 W. Va. L. Rev. 213 (2002).
Robert M. Stonestreet
- Energy & Natural Resources
- West Virginia
B.A. in History, Marshall University, summa cum laude, ‘00
J.D., West Virginia University College of Law, ‘03