Robert M. Stonestreet
Area of Emphasis
Robert Stonestreet is a litigation attorney who focuses his practice on energy and environmental law. He has a wide array of courtroom experience, including representation of clients in suits involving lease and land disputes, environmental permitting, enforcement actions, serious personal injury/wrongful death, land contamination, toxic exposure, and complex commercial transactions.
Mr. Stonestreet has tried multiple cases to verdict in both state and federal courts, and before administrative agencies. He has served as lead counsel in appeals to the West Virginia Supreme Court and the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals.
His experience in West Virginia, Ohio, and throughout the region has enabled him to guide clients through a myriad of challenges in the constantly evolving regulatory framework under federal and state laws. This experience includes assisting clients with compliance issues, multiple due diligence reviews, and litigation in both the administrative and civil arenas.
Outside of the law, Mr. Stonestreet is an avid distance runner. He has completed multiple road marathons and various types of trail races.
Mr. Stonestreet graduated from Marshall University, summa cum laude, with a bachelor’s degree in History in 2000. He received his law degree from West Virginia University College of Law in 2003. While attending law school, Mr. Stonestreet served as Executive Manuscript Editor of the West Virginia Law Review and graduated in the top five percent of his class.
Memberships and Affiliations
Mr. Stonestreet is admitted to practice in West Virginia, Ohio, Kentucky, the United States District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of West Virginia and the Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio, and the United States Courts of Appeals for the Fourth, Sixth, and Ninth Circuits. He is a member of the Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia’s Energy Committee, Independent Oil and Gas Association of West Virginia’s Environment Committee, the Defense Research Institute (DRI), and the Energy & Mineral Law Foundation. Mr. Stonestreet has been appointed to serve on the Putnam County Board of Zoning Appeals. He is also the past president of the Air & Waste Management Association, West Virginia Chapter, past chair of the Water Subcommittee of the West Virginia Chamber of Commerce’s Environment Committee, and past president of the Marshall University Quarterback Club of Charleston. Mr. Stonestreet also volunteers his time toward building new public hiking and biking trails being developed in coordination with a local landowner and city government.
Mr. Stonestreet is ranked among West Virginia’s top natural resources lawyers in Chambers USA’s America’s Leading Business Lawyers. He has been listed in The Best Lawyers of America© in the Environmental Law Section since 2013; Commercial Litigation Section since 2018; and Energy Law Section since 2020 by BL Rankings. He has also been selected to the 2010-2012 West Virginia Rising Stars and 2013-2020 West Virginia Super Lawyers lists (Thomson Reuters).
- Presenter, “Critical Habitat Designations Under the Endangered Species Act,” Shale Gas Law Conference, November 9, 2018; West Virginia Chamber of Commerce Environment and Energy Conference, May 23, 2018.
- Presenter, “Regulatory Issues Associated with Underground Storage of Natural Gas Liquids,” West Virginia Energy Institute, August 22, 2017.
- Presenter, “Held by Operations: Keeping Your Lease Alive,” West Virginia Oil and Natural Gas Association Spring Meeting, May 17, 2017; American Association of Professional Landmen seminar, March 9, 2017.
- Author and Presenter, “Cooperative Federalism and Environmental Laws: Coping with Two Masters,” Energy & Mineral Law Foundation’s Annual Institute, June 22, 2015.
- Presenter, “Current Issues in Storm Water Regulation in West Virginia,” Lorman seminar, October 2, 2014.
- Panelist, “Litigation Issues in West Virginia Energy Law,” West Virginia Defense Trial Counsel, April 23, 2013.
- Author, “Force Majeure for Sure? Contractual Coal Supply Obligations in a Changing World,” 30 Energy & Min. L. Inst. 5 (2009).
- Author, “You Have No Idea – Environmental Regulation of the Coal Industry,” 25 Energy & Min. L. Inst. 133 (2005).
- Author, “Replacing a Solid Wall with a Chain Link Fence: Special Relationship Analysis for Tort Recovery of Purely Economic Loss,” 105 W. Va. L. Rev. 213 (2002).
Robert M. Stonestreet
- Energy & Natural Resources
- West Virginia
B.A. in History, Marshall University, summa cum laude, ‘00
J.D., West Virginia University College of Law, ‘03