Robert Max Junker
Area of Emphasis
Max Junker is a shareholder in the Public Sector and Energy and Natural Resources groups of Babst Calland. Mr. Junker has served as a municipal and school district solicitor for several years, and he is currently the solicitor for the Borough of Franklin Park and the Borough of Bell Acres. He counsels and represents the Firm’s municipal clients on general municipal issues, including tax assessment appeals, municipal taxation, public bidding, Sunshine Act, the Right-to-Know Law, the State Ethics Act, general land use and zoning matters, code enforcement, as well as Act 111 and Act 195 interest arbitrations and grievance arbitrations. Mr. Junker counsels and represents the Firm’s energy clients on local government issues and land use matters. He also counsels private clients in land use matters.
Mr. Junker received his Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Virginia and his Juris Doctor, cum laude, from Duquesne University School of Law, which he attended on a full merit scholarship. He served as Executive Recent Decisions Editor for the Duquesne Law Review and was a published author. Mr. Junker also served as a legal research assistant to Dean John Rago. He was a member of several moot court teams, one of which reached the national quarterfinals of the Academy of Trial Lawyers Association (ATLA) Student Trial Advocacy Competition. Mr. Junker received the International Academy of Trial Lawyers Student Advocacy Award from the faculty, and was elected to the Order of Barristers.
Mr. Junker joined Babst Calland after working for another Pittsburgh firm concentrating on municipal law, education law, and property tax assessment law. In that position, he also served as an Assistant Solicitor to the School District of Pittsburgh overseeing all matters involving the Charter School Law, Right-to-Know Law, and pending legislation.
Memberships and Affiliations
Mr. Junker was admitted to practice law in Pennsylvania in 2005. Mr. Junker is also admitted to practice before the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania.
He is a member of the Allegheny County, Washington County, Pennsylvania and American Bar associations. He served a two-year term as chair of the Association of Municipal and School Solicitors Section for the Allegheny County Bar Association, and is currently a member of the ACBA Judiciary Committee.
House Democratic Leader Frank Dermody appointed Mr. Junker to represent the Pennsylvania School Board Association on the House of Representatives Task Force on Property Assessments in 2011. He was also recognized as one of Pennsylvania’s up-and-coming lawyers since 2014, according to an annual survey published in Philadelphia magazine.
- Panelist, “Environmental Rights Amendment Past & Present,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Land Use Institute, July 13, 2016.
- Moderator, “A Practical Guide to Zoning Hearings,” ACBA Association of Municipal and School Solicitors, July 7, 2016.
- Presenter, “Open Meetings Law & Public Records Issues,” National Business Institute, Local Government Law: What Attorneys Need to Know, March 3, 2016.
- Co-presenter, “Local Land Use Powers and Limitations,” Local Government Academy, Newly Elected Officials Course, February 13, 2016.
- Presenter, “An Authorizer’s Perspective,” Pennsylvania Coalition of Public Charter Schools, How to Start a Charter School, February 12, 2016.
- Presenter, “Common HR Questions for Solicitors,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Municipal Law Update, January 13, 2016.
- Presenter, “Religious vs. Sectarian Holiday Displays on Public Property,” Pennsylvania State Association of Boroughs, Fall Leadership Conference, October 17, 2015.
- Presenter, “Municipal Case Law/Legislative Update,” Foxmoor Continuing Education, Pennsylvania Municipal Law, February 27, 2015.
- Presenter, “Local Governments and the Law,” Pennsylvania Business Institute, Legal Issues Involving Local Governments, October 16, 2014.
- Presenter, “Open & Effective Meetings & Records,” Local Government Academy, Managing Marcellus, July 24, 2014.
- Presenter, “An Authorizer’s Perspective,” Pennsylvania Coalition of Public Charter Schools, How to Start a Charter School, February 27, 2014.
- Presenter, “Understanding Court-Ordered Reassessments: The Allegheny County Example,” Pennsylvania Bar Association Annual Meeting, May 8, 2013.
- Presenter, “Court-Ordered Reassessments and How They Will Impact Municipal Budgets for 2013,” Conference of Township, Boroughs & Authorities, September 29, 2012.
- Presenter, “Allegheny County Property Assessments,” Allegheny Intermediate Unit, September 21, 2012, January 31, 2012, and October 4, 2011.
- Presenter, “Recent Developments in Assessment Law in Pennsylvania,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute, July 18, 2012.
Robert Max Junker
- Public Sector
- Energy & Natural Resources
B.A. in Psychology and Cognitive Science, University of Virginia, '01
J.D., Duquesne University School of Law, cum laude, '05