Alyssa E. Golfieri
Area of Emphasis
Alyssa Golfieri is a shareholder in the Public Sector and Energy and Natural Resources groups of Babst Calland. Ms. Golfieri’s practice focuses primarily on municipal and land use law, with an emphasis on zoning, subdivision, land development, and municipal ordinance enforcement.
Ms. Golfieri represents the Firm’s municipal clients on a wide array of local government issues, including the preparation of zoning and land development ordinances pursuant to the Pennsylvania Municipalities Planning Code, the processing of land development applications, responses to record requests submitted under the Pennsylvania Right-to-Know Law, navigation of public bidding matters, abatement of property maintenance issues, defense of Notices of Violations before zoning hearing boards and magisterial district judges, and compliance with both the Pennsylvania Sunshine Act and the Pennsylvania Public Official and Employee Ethics Act. Ms. Golfieri has also served as assistant solicitor for several years, and is currently the solicitor for the Borough of Ford City.
Additionally, Ms. Golfieri represents private landowners, corporations, and businesses before local governing bodies, zoning hearing boards, and planning commissions. In doing so, Ms. Golfieri assists private-sector clients analyze municipal zoning ordinances, obtain land development approvals, file Right-to-Know Law requests, defend against Notices of Violation, challenge the procedural and substantive validity of municipal zoning ordinances, and appeal the issuance or denial of local permits.
Ms. Golfieri earned her B.S. in Crime, Law and Justice, with an emphasis in legal studies from The Pennsylvania State University. She earned her J.D., cum laude, from Duquesne University School of Law. During law school, Ms. Golfieri actively participated in the Urban Development Clinic where she earned a Distinction in Clinical Work and gained experience in preparing property tax assessment appeals, drafting deeds, resolving tangled property title issues and combatting blighted and abandoned properties in the surrounding community.
Memberships and Affiliations
Ms. Golfieri is admitted to practice law in Pennsylvania as well as before the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania. She is a member of the Allegheny County Bar Association and participates in the Association’s Municipal and School Solicitors Section. Ms. Golfieri is also a member of the Pennsylvania and American Bar associations.
Ms. Golfieri received a 2021 Best Lawyers®: Ones to Watch recognition from BL Rankings for Land Use and Zoning Law.
- Co-Presenter, “Agritainment & Agritourism,” Pennsylvania State Association of Township Supervisors, PAAZO Virtual Fall Seminar, November 4, 2020.
- Author, “Court Provides Clarity on the Applicable Scope of Review in Land Use Appeals,” PA Law Weekly, February 13, 2020.
- Co-Author, “As the Law and Zoning Trends Evolve, So Must Your Zoning Ordinance,” PA Law Weekly, December 19, 2019.
- Co-Presenter, “Zoning Enforcement,” Pennsylvania State Association of Township Supervisors, PAAZO Fall Seminar, November 8, 2019.
- Co-Author, “Third Circ. Clarifies First Amendment Level of Scrutiny of Billboards,” PA Law Weekly, August 22, 2019.
- Co-Author, “Equitable Relief in Land Use and Zoning Matters—Three Main Theories,” PA Law Weekly, April 18, 2019.
- Co-Author, “Municipal Regulation of Agricultural Operations in Pennsylvania,” PA Law Weekly, December 20, 2018.
- Co-Author, “Zoning Hearing Board: Overlooked, Misunderstood or Misapplied Principles,” PA Law Weekly, July 27, 2018.
- Co-Author, “Historic Preservation Through Land Use Controls: What is it? How Does It Work?,” PA Law Weekly, April 16, 2018.
- Co-Author, “Established Evidentiary Standards for Special Exception Applications,” PA Law Weekly, February 24, 2017.
- Co-Author, “Pennsylvania Governor Signs Act Authorizing Municipalities to Provide Fire and EMS Volunteers with Tax Credits,” PA Law Weekly, February 10, 2017.
- Co-Author, “Commonwealth Court Reiterates Standards When Interpreting Zoning Ordinances,” PA Law Weekly, October 21, 2016.
- Co-Author, “Nonconforming Use Certificates Cannot Extinguish a Nonconforming Use,” PA Law Weekly, August 29, 2016.
- Co-Author, “What Constitutes a Zoning Map Change for Notice Requirements,” PA Law Weekly, June 29, 2016.
- Co-Author, “Municipality’s Obligation to Process Development Plans in Good Faith,” PA Law Weekly, April 24, 2016.
- Co-Author, “Safeguards Against Adverse Zoning Ordinance Activities; Land Use and Planning,” PA Law Weekly, February 18, 2016.
- Co-Author, “Excessive Zoning and Land-Use Fees Subject to Legal Challenge,” PA Law Weekly, January 18, 2016.
- Co-Author, “High Court Clarifies Standing Requirements Before Zoning Bodies,” PA Law Weekly, December 29, 2015.
- Co-Author, “A Governing Body’s Authority to Condition Land Development Plan Approval,” PA Law Weekly, November 3, 2015.
- Co-Author, “Content Neutrality in the Government Regulation of Free Speech,” PA Law Weekly, September 1, 2015.
- Co-Author, “Excessive Zoning and Land-Use Fees Subject to Legal Challenge: Land Use and Planning,” PA Law Weekly, July 7, 2015.
- Co-Author, “EEOC Rules Discrimination Based on Sexual Orientation is Sex Discrimination under Title VII,” Employment Bulletin, July 1, 2015.
- Co-Author, “Individual, Collective and Class Action Suits Alleging Misclassification of Oil and Gas Industry Workers Flood the Dockets,” Employment Bulletin, June 1, 2015.
- Co-Author, “Pa. Supreme Court Continues to Clarify Property Right Protections: Land Use & Planning,” PA Law Weekly, April 28, 2015.
- Co-Author, “Pennsylvania Supreme Court to Offer Clarity on the Scope of Local Tax Enabling Act’s Prohibition Against Taxing Leases or Lease Transactions,” The Public Record, April 6, 2015.
- Co-Author, “United States Supreme Court to Offer Clarity on a Municipality’s Ability to Regulate Different Forms of Noncommercial Speech,” PA Law Weekly, February 2015.
- Co-Author, “Established Ordinance Interpretation and Special Exception Standards; Land Use and Planning,” PA Law Weekly, December 16, 2014.
- Co-Author, “The Pennsylvania Supreme Court Clarifies Appropriate Use Variance Standard,” PA Law Weekly, October 21, 2014.
- Co-Author, “Government Interest in Railroad Rights-of-Way,” PA Law Weekly, August 26, 2014.
- Co-Author, “Municipalities Can’t Treat Methadone Facilities Differently From Clinics,” PA Law Weekly, June 10, 2014.
- Co-Author, “Safeguards Against Adverse Zoning Ordinance Activities,” PA Law Weekly, February 18, 2014.
- Co-Author, “U.S. Supreme Court Expands on Nollan and Dolan Takings Decisions,” PA Law Weekly, November 5, 2013.
- Co-Presenter, “Presenting to a Zoning Hearing Board in the Burbs,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute, February 2013.
Alyssa E. Golfieri
- Public Sector
- Energy & Natural Resources
B.S. in Crime, Law and Justice, The Pennsylvania State University, ‘09
J.D., Duquesne University School of Law, cum laude, ‘12