Real estate transactions are never one-dimensional. That’s why every real estate attorney at Babst Calland is backed by the firm’s vast resources in real property, zoning and land use, construction, finance, energy and environmental law.
Working as a team, we’re able to serve developers, owners, tenants, buyers, brokers and managers of commercial real estate and energy assets across all facets of the project, from purchasing through financing, developing, managing and ultimately selling the property.
In the energy sector, for example, our team is schooled in analyzing complex oil and gas title rights, the grants of easements, rights-of-way, surface use and other rights attendant to oil and gas drilling and coal mining and other commercial arrangements such as unitization and pooling.
Babst Calland real estate, land use and zoning attorneys have decades of experience, including:
- Acquisitions and dispositions of industrial facilities, brownfields sites, office buildings, shopping centers, apartment complexes and other properties.
- Development of condominiums, shopping centers, industrial parks, assisted living facilities, utility and industrial facilities and large, mixed-use developments.
- Leasing and property management for landlords and tenants, including ground, build-to-suit, warehouse, industrial, oil and gas, mineral, shopping center and other leases.
- Construction contracts, developer agreements, design, engineering and architectural agreements, and bonding arrangements.
- Real estate finance, including traditional and non-traditional mortgage financing, government financing programs, equity participation loans, synthetic lease and ground lease financing and sale/leaseback transactions.
- Environmental risk assessment, compliance with laws and regulations, environmental indemnities and navigating governmental brownfields programs.
- Brokerage commission and management agreements.
- Title insurance and settlement services and prosecuting or defending title claims.
- Oil and gas and coal mining, including leases, licenses, rights-of-way, royalties, conveyances and reservations of oil, gas, coal and other mineral rights.
- Condemnation and eminent domain, representing both property owners and condemning authorities regarding easements, rights-of-way and other property interests.
- Condominiums, cooperatives, etc., creating commercial and residential condominiums, cooperatives, planned unit developments and homeowner associations.
- Land use and zoning, such as subdivision and land development, building, occupancy and zoning permits, zoning challenges, variances, special exceptions and conditional use application.
- Real estate tax assessment appeals.
We assist both private and public entities with the acquisition, disposition, development and operation of diverse properties, including industrial facilities, mixed use developments, brownfield sites, office buildings, shopping centers and apartment complexes. We also counsel clients on condemnation, eminent domain and “in lieu of” transaction for fee simple, easements, rights-of-way and other property interests, and handle commercial leasing agreements, title insurance and right-of-way acquisition for utilities and public projects.
Babst Calland’s real estate attorneys are active members and leaders of many industry organizations, including the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties (NAIOP), International Right of Way Association (IRWA), National Brownfields Association and Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW) Network.