The litigation team at Babst Calland has been representing energy and natural resources clients for more than three decades. Our oil and gas litigation practice has increased dramatically with the ongoing development of our nation’s Shale plays, particularly in the Appalachian Basin. We are similarly well positioned to support the growing renewables industry.
As a result of our multidisciplinary approach to servicing the energy industry, our litigators successfully draw on the depth and knowledge of firm attorneys in other disciplines including construction, land use, environmental, employment and labor, title, pipeline and transportation safety. Just as importantly, our firm has developed teams of litigators that focus their litigation on particular areas of importance to oil and gas, coal operators, mining companies, midstream companies, renewable project developers, aggregators, operators and other businesses that service the energy and natural resources industry including:
- Construction – from pipeline, well site, or renewable energy site construction, foundation drilling and excavation disputes to a variety of other contractual construction issues;
- Environmental – serving the oil and gas, coal, mining and renewable energy industries in a variety of administrative forums, trial courts and appellate courts;
- Toxic Tort – including alleged contaminants, contaminated wells and groundwater problems that may cause harm to persons or property;
- Land Use – actively monitoring, tracking and maintaining an extensive database which catalogues the creation, adoption and substantive content of more than 60 municipal ordinances that target oil and gas development across Pennsylvania;
- Lease Disputes, Quiet Title and Developer Litigation – Including cases involving lease agreements, quiet title actions, royalty interests and development issues.
- Commercial – encompassing a variety of contract issues in the natural gas, coal and other mining industries;
- Personal Injury and Property Damage Cases – Litigating cases on behalf of natural gas clients alleging personal injury and property damages resulting from natural gas explosions;
- Premises Liability – defending corporate clients in personal injury cases; and
- Employment and Labor – human resources counseling to avoid costly claims, and when necessary, advocate in local, state and federal courts.