Energy & Natural Resources
Babst Calland’s Construction attorneys have the knowledge and experience to assist energy clients with every aspect of construction. Our Construction Group actively represents the interests of oil and gas clients throughout the Appalachian footprint with offices strategically located in the heart of the Marcellus and Utica Shale plays. Our skills also readily apply to serve the growing renewable energy industry across the country. In addition, through Babst Calland’s multidisciplinary approach to natural resource clients, our construction attorneys team up with the firm’s environmental, land use and pipeline and transportation safety attorneys to ensure our clients receive unparalleled value and cost-effective representation.
The Construction Group’s knowledge of state-specific statutory framework and construction case law adds particular value to the services we offer our energy clients including:
- Drafting and negotiating engineering, construction and procurement (EPC) contracts, transportation contracts, equipment leases and other construction-related documents applicable to the industry;
- Handling mechanics’ liens and other matters affecting our clients’ property interests in real estate;
- Compliance with, and interpretation of, state and federal “prompt payment acts” and other state-specific statutes affecting construction projects;
- Implementing appropriate indemnity and insurance requirements;
- Dealing with performance and payment bond claims;
- Counseling clients during the construction project regarding potential delays and schedule issues, change order disputes, and other construction issues;
- Construction permitting, licensing and regulatory compliance;
- Advising clients on OSHA and construction project safety issues, including providing clients with guidance in the area of pipeline and transportation safety; and
- Assisting clients to navigate through project closeout, equipment startup and commissioning, and warranty issues.
These services ensure our clients’ compliance with applicable law, and just as importantly, enhance the prospect of successful projects and increase the likelihood that litigation can be avoided. However, if necessary, we are equally adept at handling construction disputes and litigation.
Best Law Firms 2021
Babst Calland Energy practice ranked in 2021 Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms"
by BL Rankings