Energy & Natural Resources
Babst Calland has represented energy clients in transactions valuing more than $8 billion, varying in size and complexity from small development locations to those involving hundreds of thousands of acres in active shale plays and emerging energy corridors. The acquisition and divestiture of assets calls into question a myriad of esoteric issues. From title examination and lease review through post-closing integration, a highly-focused approach to due diligence helps clients assess risk and properly analyze the value of any acquisition to close the deal.
Our multidisciplinary team of Energy and Natural Resources attorneys understands all facets of oil, gas and renewable energy transactions including surface and mineral title, lease and easement review, environmental assessment and permit review, contract review, transportation and pipeline assessment, land use and zoning, and litigation matters. Although each transaction’s due diligence needs differ, we offer the resources and support team that other firms cannot match, including:
- Offices and fully-dedicated energy and environmental attorneys;
- A large energy title group with deep knowledge of surface and mineral issues in each state;
- A significant bench of experienced environmental and regulatory attorneys who understand the challenges within each state;
- Land use attorneys with in-depth understanding of local and municipal laws and regulations;
- Energy litigators to assess threatened and filed claims;
- Business transaction attorneys with a focus on serving the energy industry; and
- Document management technology, owned and operated by the Firm, that captures data for each project that can be seamlessly downloaded into a client’s operational database for managing acquired assets post-closing.
We understand that efficient and timely due diligence information is critical in the decision making and closing process, but also valuable in managing the acquired assets long after the closing. Our due diligence team carefully plans and coordinates the due diligence process, tailoring the deliverables to the deal while maintaining a timely and cost-effective approach. These experienced-based advantages enable us to identify, evaluate and resolve the most critical issues impacting your transaction. Armed with this knowledge, our clients make better risk-based business and financial decisions.
Due diligence for the energy industry is the beginning of a process for the buyer or seller and should be viewed as a part of the strategic direction, and not as a commodity. It is also a process that must have a definitive strategy, timetable, budget certainty and technology, easing the transition from “acquisition mode” to “operational integration” mode.
Best Law Firms 2021
Babst Calland Energy practice ranked in 2021 Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms"
by BL Rankings