The firm’s world class Environmental, Health and Safety capabilities are highlighted in the context of our broad array of environmental transactional services. Attorneys in our Environmental Practice Group regularly represent clients in mergers and acquisitions, asset sales, brownfield redevelopment, environmental liability transfers, corporate restructurings and project financings across a wide range of sectors, including chemicals, natural resources, traditional and renewable energy, manufacturing, utilities, real estate, pharmaceuticals and financial services. Our extensive experience handling complex, multi-facility, multi-jurisdiction transactions enables us to efficiently identify and evaluate environmental liability and compliance risks and develop strategies to limit or mitigate our client’s exposure to those risks. Our transactional work frequently includes:
- Performing Environmental, Health and Safety due diligence, including hiring and oversight of consultants;
- Allocating environmental liabilities between parties, including through cost-sharing arrangements, indemnities, and environmental insurance products;
- Drafting and negotiating environmental contractual provisions, including representations and warranties, assumed and retained liabilities; covenants, releases, and indemnities;
- Advising on the pros and cons of seeking bona fide prospective purchaser or innocent purchaser status or other special status conferred by state and federal Brownfields programs;
- Assisting with permit transfers and replacement of financial assurance instruments;
- Drafting ancillary documents such as shared services agreements, environmental matters agreements and access agreements; and
- Advising on post-closing environmental compliance matters.
Our environmental transactional attorneys frequently serve as part of a full-service transactional team on deals being led by the firm’s Corporate and Commercial Practice Group. In addition, due to our strong subject matter expertise, we often serve as environmental and permitting counsel on transactions where the corporate component is being handled by other firms. In either case, our clients receive efficiently generated, practical advice grounded in our attorney’s decades of experience and deep expertise in environmental law.