Brian D. Lipkin
Area of Emphasis
Brian Lipkin is an associate in the Litigation and Employment and Labor groups of Babst Calland. Mr. Lipkin’s commercial litigation practice focuses on contract disputes, business torts, and claims involving trade secrets and closely-held corporations. He handles construction, insurance coverage, intellectual property, real estate and securities litigation. Mr. Lipkin defends lawyers, architects, engineers, insurance brokers, and realtors against professional malpractice claims. He represents businesses of all sizes, nonprofits, colleges and universities, and individuals.
In his employment and labor practice, Mr. Lipkin defends employers against claims for discrimination, retaliation, wrongful discharge and unpaid wages. He handles restrictive covenant litigation and defends whistleblower claims arising under the False Claims Act. Mr. Lipkin advises employers and executives on compliance issues, employee handbooks, employment agreements, non-compete agreements and severance agreements.
Mr. Lipkin graduated cum laude from Tufts University in 2005, earning a B.A. in Political Science and Spanish. He received his J.D. from Boston College Law School in 2008. He received the Joseph F. and Mary M. Gill Award for Outstanding Mock Trial Participation, won the mock trial tournament, and belonged to the National Mock Trial Team. He also served as an Articles Editor for the Boston College Journal of Law & Social Justice.
Before joining Babst Calland, Mr. Lipkin worked as an associate at a law firm in Boston where he practiced commercial litigation and employment litigation. He tried cases to favorable jury verdicts, and won summary judgment motions and motions to dismiss for his clients. Mr. Lipkin previously clerked for the Massachusetts Superior Court.
Memberships and Affiliations
Mr. Lipkin is admitted in Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and West Virginia. He is also admitted to practice before the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit and the United States District Courts for the Western District of Pennsylvania and the District of Massachusetts.
Since 2013, Mr. Lipkin has been recognized as one of Massachusetts’s up-and-coming lawyers, according to an annual survey published in Boston magazine.
Mr. Lipkin has delivered national and local presentations on litigation. He has published articles on employment discrimination and insurance coverage. A recent listing includes:
- Program Chair, “Discovery Disputes,” Boston Bar Association, February 2014.
- Presenter, “Beyond the Basics of the Litigation Cycle: Written Discovery,” Boston Bar Association, October 2013.
- Presenter, “Civil Litigation: An Introduction to the Basics, the Rules and the Quirks of Practice,” myLawCLE, September 2013.
- Co-Author, “The New ADA Regulations: Changes and Potential Impact,” For the Defense Magazine, August 2012.
- Presenter, “Closing the Deal,” Boston Association of Claims Executives, June 2012.
- Presenter, “Handling Liability Claims,” Lexington Insurance Company, February 2012.
- Contributor, “Excess and Umbrella Insurance State-by-State Compendium,” Defense Research Institute (DRI), December 2011.
- Presenter, “Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Basics,” Volunteer Lawyers Project of the Boston Bar Association, May 2011.
Brian D. Lipkin
- Employment & Labor
- New Hampshire
- West Virginia
B.A. in Political Science and Spanish, Tufts University, cum laude, ‘05
J.D., Boston College Law School, ‘08