Colleen Grace Donofrio
Area of Emphasis
Colleen Donofrio is a shareholder in the Environmental Services Group of Babst Calland. Mrs. Donofrio’s practice primarily focuses on federal and state hazardous and nonhazardous solid waste regulation and enforcement, environmental-related transactional issues (e.g., New Jersey Industrial Site Recovery Act compliance), release reporting and response, spill prevention, PCB management, toxic chemicals management, community right-to-know reporting, storage tank regulation, compliance auditing, training, multimedia inspection, preparation and response, occupational safety and health regulations and enforcement, environmental management systems, and product stewardship. Mrs. Donofrio’s extensive environmental experience has come from working closely with facilities in the iron, steel and metals industries, and her extensive environmental, health and safety experience has come from working with facilities in many other industrial sectors (i.e., chemical manufacturing, grain processing, and natural gas production and distribution).
Mrs. Donofrio received her B.S. in Chemical Engineering and her B.A. in Economics from Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey in New Brunswick and a J.D. from Rutgers School of Law–Camden.
Prior to obtaining her law degree, Mrs. Donofrio was employed as an engineer in the private and public sectors. She worked as a Power Engineer at Stone and Webster Engineering Corporation specializing in utility systems’ design. Mrs. Donofrio also was employed as a RCRA Permit Writer and Assistant Program Coordinator for Pennsylvania in the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region III office.
From June 1986 through September 1989, Mrs. Donofrio worked in the Firm’s Pittsburgh office. In October 1989, she opened Babst Calland’s Mid-Atlantic office in Philadelphia which was relocated to Gloucester County, New Jersey in March 2001. The Mid-Atlantic office provides cost-effective legal services to Firm clients with operations scrutinized by environmental agency representatives in: EPA Headquarters, Region II and Region III offices; Pennsylvania’s Norristown, Wilkes-Barre and Harrisburg offices; New Jersey’s Trenton offices and Delaware’s Dover offices; and by occupational safety and health agency representatives in the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Headquarters, Region II and Region III offices.
Memberships and Affiliations
Mrs. Donofrio is a member of the Pennsylvania Bar and the New Jersey Bar. She is also a member of the Southern New Jersey Chamber of Commerce and Pennsylvania Chamber of Business and Industry, and an associate member of the American Iron and Steel Institute and the Chemistry Council of New Jersey. Mrs. Donofrio was appointed to the Salvation Army Advisory Board of Southwest New Jersey in 2011 and currently serves as Chairperson for 2017-2019. She also sits on the Building Committee for Trinity United Methodist Church in Mullica Hill, New Jersey.
- Donofrio, Colleen Grace. “Common Mistakes Companies Make in Hazardous Waste Management Compliance,” JGE Global Webinar, June 28, 2018.
- Donofrio, Colleen Grace. “Closing Keynote: The Biggest Mistakes Companies Make in Complying with Residual and Hazardous Waste Regulations,” PA Chamber of Business and Industry’s 2018 Annual Environmental Conference and Trade Show, Lancaster, PA, April 5, 2018.
- Donofrio, Colleen Grace, Hudock, Marc, and Kaczmar, Swiatoslav. “TSCA Legislative Reform Update and PCBs: The New Lead Paint,” Chemistry Council of NJ Annual Conference, Galloway Twp., NJ, May 3, 2016.
- Davis, Kevin, Donofrio, Colleen Grace, Little, Kevin, and Mitchell, Melvin. “What to Consider When Managing Your Industrial Waste Streams,” RE3 2015 Conference, Philadelphia, PA, September 2015.
- Donofrio, Colleen Grace. “Hazardous and Residual Waste Compliance Basics,” PA Chamber of Business and Industry, June 2015, July 2013 and July 2012.
- Donofrio, Colleen Grace. “What does the New Definition of Solid Waste (DSW) Really Mean to Your Business?,” WV Chamber of Commerce, 2015 Environmental Conference, Charleston, WV, May 2015.
- Donofrio, Colleen Grace. “RCRA In-depth: Ins and Outs of Facilities’ Hazardous Waste Compliance,” Jones Global Enterprises’ U.S. EHS Network, Washington, DC, January 2015.
- Babst III, Chester R., Donofrio, Colleen Grace, and Winek, Michael H. “Surviving PADEP and USEPA Environmental Inspections.” PA Chamber of Business and Industry, Guidebook on Pennsylvania Environmental Laws and Regulations, 7th Ed., 2014.
- Donofrio, Colleen Grace. “Surviving DEP and EPA Environmental Inspections,” PA Chamber of Business and Industry’s Core Environmental Series, Harrisburg and Valley Forge, PA, October 2013.
- Donofrio, Colleen Grace. “RCRA Update and Refresher,” Mercer-ORC Networks Corporate Environmental Forum Meeting, Washington, DC, November 2011.
- Donofrio, Colleen Grace. “Multimedia Inspection Survival,” 2011 PBI Environmental Law Forum, Harrisburg, PA, April 2011.
- Donofrio, Colleen Grace. “RCRA Hazardous Waste: Compliance Perspectives,” Mercer-ORC Networks Corporate Environmental Forum Meeting, Washington, DC, November 2010.
- Donofrio, Colleen Grace and Meloy, Michael. “Complying with Residual Waste and Hazardous Waste Requirements,” PA Chamber of Business and Industry’s Fall 2010 Environmental Conference and Trade Show, Harrisburg, Pittsburgh and Valley Forge, PA, October 2010.
- Donofrio, Colleen Grace. “Environmental Roundtable” and “How to Handle Inspections,” PA Chamber of Business and Industry’s 2010 Mid-Atlantic Annual Environmental & Energy Conference and Trade Show, Camp Hill, PA, April 2010.
- Donofrio, Colleen Grace. “Environmental Roundtable” and “Complying with Hazardous Waste Regulations,” PA Chamber of Business and Industry’s 2009 Annual Environmental and Energy Conference and Trade Show, Lancaster, PA, April 2009.
- Donofrio, Colleen Grace. “RCRA Practical Compliance Tips,” ORC Worldwide Corporate Environmental Forum Meeting, Washington, DC, February 2009.
- Donofrio, Colleen Grace. “Hazardous Waste Management,” PA Chamber of Business and Industry’s Fall Environmental Conference Series, Pittsburgh, PA, October 2008.
- Donofrio, Colleen Grace. “Workshop: Release Notification and Reporting,” ORC Worldwide Corporate Environmental Forum Meeting, Taylor, MI, May 2007.
- Donofrio, Colleen Grace. “RCRA Workshop . . . . Plus” and “RCRA Training Module,” ORC Worldwide Corporate Environmental Forum Meetings, Washington, DC, November 2006 and January 2005, respectively.
Mrs. Donofrio has also delivered numerous in-house presentations and training seminars to clients in subject areas including, but not limited to, waste management compliance, release reporting standards and systems, multimedia inspection strategies, compliance auditing, environmental reserves, and environmental management systems.
Colleen Grace Donofrio
- New Jersey
B.S. in Chemical Engineering/B.A. in Economics, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, '82
J.D., Rutgers School of Law-Camden, '86