D. Matthew Jameson III
Area of Emphasis
Matt Jameson is a trial attorney in the Firm’s Construction Group, and serves as the editor-in-chief of the Firm’s Construction Law Blog. He previously served on the Firm’s board of directors and chaired the Firm’s Litigation and Construction groups. He has significant experience in all aspects of construction law, including construction bid protests, construction contract review and drafting, prosecuting and defending construction delay, acceleration, inefficiency claims and construction payment disputes (including bond and mechanics’ lien issues). In addition, he has trial experience in handling complex breach of contract actions and environmental cost recovery cases. He has represented clients in trials and hearings before various courts, administrative tribunals, and alternative dispute resolution forums, including the Supreme Court of the United States, numerous United States District Courts and Courts of Appeals, the United States Court of Federal Claims, various state courts, the Pennsylvania Board of Claims, and the American Arbitration Association.
- American Standard Environmental Inc. v. Sports & Exhibition Authority – convention center demolition
- M.I. Friday, Inc. v. Franklin Regional School District – school construction
- Brayman Construction Corp. v. The Velotta Co. – bridge construction
- F.J. Busse Co., Inc. v. Port Authority of Allegheny County – subway station renovation
- Greenmoor, Inc. v. Burchick Construction Co. – Federal Building renovation
- Beazer East, Inc. v. Mead Corp. – environmental cost recovery
Mr. Jameson graduated from the Pennsylvania State University with a B.A. degree in 1988. He received his J.D., with honors, from the Rutgers University School of Law-Camden in 1992. While at Rutgers, Mr. Jameson served as Editor-in-Chief of the Rutgers Law Journal, where he also published two articles. In 1991, Mr. Jameson won the Judge James Hunter III Memorial Advanced Moot Court Competition. Prior to joining the firm in 1993, Mr. Jameson served a one-year clerkship with the Honorable Michael Patrick King, Presiding Judge of the Appellate Division of the Superior Court of New Jersey.
Memberships and Affiliations
Mr. Jameson is admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of the United States, the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, the Supreme Court of New Jersey, the United States District Courts for New Jersey and the Eastern and Western Districts of Pennsylvania, the United States Court of Federal Claims, and the United States Courts of Appeals for the Third and Seventh Circuits.
He is a member of the Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and American Bar associations. He serves as a member and has given presentations before the Federal Bar Association and the Allegheny County Bar Association Construction Law Section (Chairperson, 2011-12), and has previously served as an associate with the Pittsburgh chapter of the American Inns of Court. Since 2014, Mr. Jameson has been ranked among Pennsylvania’s top construction lawyers in Chambers USA’s America’s Leading Business Lawyers. He has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America® by BL Rankings in the Construction Law Section since 2007 and in the Litigation – Construction Law Section since 2011. Mr. Jameson has also been recognized as one of Pennsylvania’s top lawyers since 2005, according to an annual survey published in Philadelphia magazine.
Mr. Jameson resides in Hampton Township with his wife Danelle, and their three children, Caitlin, Sarah, and Declan. Among his civic activities, Mr. Jameson has served as the attorney advisor for Hampton High School in the state-wide Mock Trial Competition sponsored by the Pennsylvania Bar Association. He has frequently presented an educational program prepared by the Allegheny County Bar Association to local elementary schools. He has also been active in the North Hills and Downtown YMCA, and in coaching various Hampton Township athletic teams. He is a co-founder and board member for Clear Thoughts Foundation, a charitable organization dedicated to raising money to fund research involved in finding a cure for dementia.
- Organizer and Co-presenter, “Construction Law – The Year in Review,” Babst Calland, presented annually, 2006 – 2019.
- Organizer and Co-presenter, “Pennsylvania Mechanics’ Lien Law Amendments,” Keystone Contractors Association, February 7, 2017.
- Co-presenter, “Construction Claims: Challenges for Pennsylvania Owners,” Construction Owners Association of America, September 29, 2016.
- Co-presenter, “BIM [Building Information Modeling] Contract Negotiation and Risk Allocation,” The Associated General Contractors of America, 2011 – 2016.
- Co-presenter, “The Construction Contracts Program: Understanding and Negotiating the Critical Clauses in the Industry Form Documents,” American Bar Association Forum on the Construction Industry, November 3, 2011.
- Co-organizer and Co-presenter, “Construction Law Impacts Regarding Marcellus Shale Development” Babst Calland webinar, June 29, 2011.
- Lead Organizer and Presenter, “Pennsylvania Best Value Contracting: A good concept gone bad?” Master Builders’ Association, January 21, 2011.
- Organizer and Presenter, “Anatomy of a Troubled Project: How to Most Effectively Deal With Construction Projects in Crisis,” Allegheny County Bar Association Construction Law Section, December 2, 2010.
- Organizer and Presenter, “ConsensusDOCS vs. AIA|The American Institute of Architects,” Allegheny County Bar Association Construction Law Section, December 11, 2008.
- Organizer and Presenter, “ConsensusDOCS,” Master Builders Association, January 18, 2008.
- Presenter, “Construction Law: Legal Rights to Payment for Construction Work,” Builders Association of Central Pennsylvania, January 24, 2006.
- Presenter, “Construction Law: An Overview of Recent Developments,” Centre County Bar Association, December 14, 2005.
- Lead Organizer, Presenter and Co-author, “Advanced Construction Litigation,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute, November 1, 2005 (Pittsburgh), November 8, 2005 (Philadelphia).
- Co-author, “Contractors and Sureties: Why Can’t We Be Friends?” Construct!, Vol. 14, No. 1, Fall 2004.
- Lead Organizer, Presenter and Co-author, “Construction Litigation: From Contract Through Performance, Claims & Resolution,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute, October 24, 2003.
D. Matthew Jameson III
- Public Sector
- New Jersey
B.A. in Administration of Justice, Pennsylvania State University, '88
J.D., Rutgers University-Camden, with honors, '92