Babst Calland attorneys have a solid foundation in construction law and hands-on experience with project issues. We’ll work with you – from the ground up – to resolve even your most complex concerns.
Our construction attorneys know that you frequently need to strike a balance between many complex – and sometimes contradictory – concerns relating to your construction business. We stay current on all developments in construction law, including the issues often confronted by energy producers and midstream operators, so we can provide practical and cost-effective representation to clients in every sector of the industry.
Whether you need assistance with contract negotiations, compliance, scheduling demands, project management, governmental regulations or environmental issues, trust us to help. Our commitment to client satisfaction is always paramount.
Representative Litigation Experience
- Obtained summary dismissal on behalf of a commercial high-rise building owner in multiple mechanics’ lien claims and simultaneously negotiated a favorable settlement for related claims asserted against general contractor
- Obtained summary judgment in a U.S. District Court on a breach of contract counterclaim asserted against a natural gas midstream company and owner of a $75 million pipeline project
- Successfully enforced AAA arbitration clause in purchase order on behalf of a highway construction prime contractor against material supplier and obtained appellate ruling that the contractor’s purchase order, not the supplier’s delivery ticket, dictated the terms of the parties’ requirements contract
- Obtained a jury verdict on behalf of a contractor against municipal sewage authority that awarded all amounts claimed for unpaid change orders and prevailed on all counterclaims raised by the authority
- Prevailed in a federal bid protest before the U.S. Government Accountability Office concerning the award of a $100 million build-to-lease contract for a government healthcare facility, filed by a regional real estate development company, and against the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- Successfully prosecuted, and prevailed on appeal, a multimillion dollar Bilt-Rite claim on behalf of a general contractor against a public owner’s geotechnical consultant for complications arising from subsurface conditions that differed from those in the original project design
- Obtained summary dismissal of tort and quasi-contract claims filed in a U.S. District Court by a pipeline construction contractor against a midstream-company owner, its subsidiary, and its former parent energy company
- Negotiated a favorable settlement, within six months, on behalf of a subcontractor in a dispute involving claims by a corporate office building owner for $40 million to remediate impacts from water and air infiltration
- Negotiated a favorable settlement for a wastewater treatment plant contractor involving indemnity agreements associated with more than 20 different surety bonds
- Prosecution of heavy industrial contractor’s claims in excess of $12 million for alleged deficiencies in scheduling and management of project by a steel mill owner
- Prosecution of general contractor’s claims related to differing site conditions and directives from the project design professional on a $40 million wastewater treatment plant
- Defense of multiple midstream and energy companies against a pipeline construction contractor’s claims in excess of $60 million related to construction of more than 50 natural gas mainlines and well lines across northeastern Pennsylvania
- Defense of construction defect claims filed by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania against a contractor of an underground piping system at the Western Pennsylvania State Correctional Institution in Fayette County, Pennsylvania
- Obtained favorable verdict in defense of a general contractor’s termination of an asbestos abatement subcontractor during renovations of the Federal Building in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“To succeed in the construction business, you need to be able to juggle a lot of issues and concerns. The attorneys in our group have years of experience doing just that – balancing our clients’ legal needs with their business goals. It’s a partnership that works.”
– D. Matthew Jameson
Best Law Firms 2016
Babst Calland Construction practice ranked in 2016 Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms"