Lisa M. Bruderly
Area of Emphasis
Lisa Bruderly is a shareholder and chair of the Environmental Group of Babst Calland. She is also a member of the Firm’s Energy and Natural Resources Group. Ms. Bruderly primarily focuses on regulatory issues associated with natural gas development, water resources and wastewater management. As a former environmental auditor and compliance project manager for a large natural gas transmission company, Ms. Bruderly relies on both her knowledge of the law, as well as her prior experience to assist her clients with their complex compliance issues.
Ms. Bruderly works with industrial clients, including natural gas producers, on a daily basis regarding water-related issues, such as wetland and watercourse permitting and mitigation, NPDES permitting, spill prevention and response, and wastewater disposal. Ms. Bruderly assists natural gas clients in addressing issues associated with well development, including claims associated with water loss, stray gas migration and property damage. She represents clients in enforcement actions, including civil penalty assessments, permit holds, and cease and desist orders. She also litigates appeals before state administrative boards and advises clients regarding the environmental aspects of site acquisition and site assessment.
Ms. Bruderly graduated from Pennsylvania State University in 1989 with a B.S. in Environmental Resource Management. From 1989 to 1992, Ms. Bruderly was an environmental scientist for a national environmental consulting company. From 1992 through 1998, she was an environmental auditor and compliance project manager for a large natural gas transmission corporation based in West Virginia. During her employment, she completed more than 150 environmental audits at compressor stations and pipelines in thirteen states. Ms. Bruderly also developed compliance training and environmental management systems. Ms. Bruderly received her J.D., cum laude, from Pennsylvania State University Dickinson School of Law in 2001. While in law school, she was the managing editor of the Dickinson Journal of Environmental Law and Policy and was inducted into the Woolsack Honor Society.
Memberships and Affiliations
Ms. Bruderly was admitted to the Pennsylvania Bar in 2001. She is a member of the Allegheny County, Pennsylvania and American Bar Associations. She was selected to the 2007-2008 and 2010-2011 Pennsylvania Rising Stars and 2012-2013 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers lists (Thomson Reuters).
Ms. Bruderly is a member of the Marcellus Shale Coalition, the Pennsylvania Independent Oil and Gas Association (PIOGA), the West Virginia Oil and Natural Gas Association (WVONGA) and the Independent Oil and Gas Association of West Virginia (IOGAWV). She is also a member of the Women’s Energy Network and the Energy and Mineral Law Foundation. She is the co-author of the “Pennsylvania Oil and Gas Law” chapter contained in the Pennsylvania Bar Institute’s Environmental Law and Practice reference book.
- Presenter, “Introduction to West Virginia’s Horizontal Well Control Act,” Michael Late Benedum Chapter, American Association of Professional Landmen Meeting, February 9, 2012.
- Author, “2011: An Unconventional Year for Unconventional Gas Development in PA,” The PIOGA Press, January 2012.
- Co-Author, “Sweeping Legislative Changes to Horizontal Drilling in West Virginia,” Administrative Watch, Volume 14, Issue 12, December 2011.
- Presenter, “Responding to Water Claims,” WVONGA Fall Meeting in Roanoke, WV, September 28, 2011.
- Presenter, “Emerging Environmental Issues in Natural Gas Development,” PIOGA Spring Convention at Seven Springs, May 25, 2011. This presentation was then cited in “Wastewater Practices Enter New Era,” The American Oil & Gas Reporter, July 2011.
- Author, “What’s Around the Corner in Marcellus Shale Development,” Lexicon, the alumni magazine of Penn State University, Dickinson School of Law, Spring 2011.
- Author, “Preparing for and Addressing Water Loss Claims,” The PIOGA Press, April 2011.
- Co-Author, “Don’t Forget an Upcoming Reporting Deadline for Two Environmental Programs!,” The PIOGA Press, February 2011.
- Co-Author, “Pennsylvania Marcellus Shale Play,” Environmental Transactions and Brownfields Committee Newsletter, American Bar Association, Vol. 13 No. 1, January 2011.
- Author, “Pennsylvania Oil and Gas Law,” chapter in Pennsylvania Environmental Law and Practice, published by the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, August 2010.
- Presenter, “Spill Prevention Plans and Release Reporting at Oil and Gas Sites,” PIOGA Annual Meeting, June 2010.
- Presenter, “Water Law Update – 2010,” ORC Worldwide Corporate Environmental Forum, February 1, 2010.
- Presenter, “PPC Plans – Top Ten Points to Remember,” IOGA PA Annual Meeting, May 20, 2009.
- Presenter, “Environmental Challenges to Real Estate Development in Pennsylvania,” Lorman Education Services, June 12, 2008.
- Presenter, “Water Law Update – 2008,” ORC Worldwide Corporate Environmental Forum, May 5, 2008.
- Presenter, “Water Law Update – 2006,” ORC Worldwide Corporate Environmental Forum, August 7, 2006.
- Presenter, “All Appropriate Inquiry – A Practitioner’s Perspective,” ORC Worldwide Corporate Environmental Forum, February 8, 2006.
- Presenter, “Stormwater Issues for Solicitors,” Westmoreland Bar Association, January 12, 2006.
- Presenter, “Urban Development and Redevelopment in Pennsylvania,” Lorman Education Services, December 8, 2005.
- Presenter, “Current Issues in Stormwater Regulation in Pennsylvania,” Lorman Education Services, October 20, 2005.
Lisa M. Bruderly
- Energy & Natural Resources
B.S. in Environmental Resource Management, Pennsylvania State University, '89
J.D., Pennsylvania State University Dickinson School of Law, cum laude, '01