Lisa M. Bruderly
Area of Emphasis
Lisa Bruderly is a shareholder and past chair of the Environmental Group of Babst Calland. She is also a member of the Firm’s Energy and Natural Resources Group. Ms. Bruderly primarily focuses on regulatory issues associated with water resources, wastewater/stormwater management, compliance auditing, site assessments and remediation, including state voluntary remediation programs. As a former environmental consultant and environmental auditor for a large natural gas transmission company, she relies on both her knowledge of the law, as well as her prior experience to assist her clients with their complex compliance issues.
Ms. Bruderly works with industrial clients, including natural gas producers, on a daily basis, providing practical advice regarding water-related issues, such as wetland and watercourse permitting and mitigation, NPDES permitting (wastewater and stormwater), spill prevention and response, and wastewater disposal. She conducts environmental audits and assists clients in complying with applicable federal and state laws and permitting requirements. Ms. Bruderly provides input on managing risks associated with proposed site acquisitions and site investigations. She assists natural gas clients in addressing issues associated with well development, including claims associated with water loss, stray gas migration and property damage. Ms. Bruderly represents clients in negotiating federal and state enforcement actions, including civil penalty assessments, consent decrees and cease and desist orders. In particular, she was lead counsel in two of the largest settlements associated with Section 404 of the Clean Water Act. She also litigates appeals before state administrative boards and advises clients regarding the environmental aspects of site acquisition and site assessment.
Ms. Bruderly graduated from Pennsylvania State University in 1989 with a B.S. in Environmental Resource Management. From 1989 to 1992, Ms. Bruderly was an environmental scientist for a national environmental consulting company. From 1992 through 1998, she was an environmental auditor and compliance project manager for a large natural gas transmission corporation based in West Virginia. During her employment, she completed more than 150 environmental audits at compressor stations and pipelines in thirteen states. Ms. Bruderly also developed compliance training and environmental management systems. Ms. Bruderly received her J.D., cum laude, from Pennsylvania State University Dickinson School of Law in 2001. While in law school, she was the managing editor of the Dickinson Journal of Environmental Law and Policy and was inducted into the Woolsack Honor Society.
Memberships and Affiliations
Ms. Bruderly was admitted to the Pennsylvania Bar in 2001. She is a member of the Allegheny County, Pennsylvania and American Bar Associations. She was selected to the 2007-2008 and 2010-2011 Pennsylvania Rising Stars and 2012-2013 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers lists (Thomson Reuters).
Ms. Bruderly is a regular contributor to the Water Law Newsletter for The Foundation for Natural Resources and Energy Law and a past president of the Appalachia Chapter of the Women’s Energy Network. She is a member of the Marcellus Shale Coalition (MSC), the Pennsylvania Independent Oil and Gas Association (PIOGA) and the Energy and Mineral Law Foundation (EMLF). Ms. Bruderly is the co-author of the “Pennsylvania Oil and Gas Law” chapter contained in the Pennsylvania Bar Institute’s Environmental Law and Practice reference book.
- Co-Author, “PADEP Issues Proposed Guidance on Notification Requirements for Spills Under the Clean Streams Law,” The Foundation Water Law Newsletter, March 2022.
- Author, “Continued Uncertainty Expected in 2022 Regarding the Definition of Waters of the United States and the Future of Nationwide Permits,” PA Law Weekly, February 24, 2022.
- Co-Author, “Recent Updates on Nationwide Permits and Waters of the United States, With More Expected,” The PIOGA Press, February 2022.
- Author, “EPA and Corps Revert Back to Pre-2015 Definition of ‘Waters of the United States’,” The PIOGA Press, September 2021.
- Author, “Water Law Update: Five Regulatory Changes to Watch in 2021,” PA Law Weekly, May 20, 2021
- Author, “Water Law Update: Five Topics to Watch in 2021,” The PIOGA Press, April 2021.
- Presenter, “Navigating the Definition of Waters of the United States,” Energy and Mineral Law Foundation’s Oil and Gas Environmental and Regulatory Institute, February 17, 2021.
- Author, “EPA Issues Draft Guidance for ‘Functional Equivalent’ Test for Point Source Discharges to Surfacewater Through Groundwater,” The PIOGA Press, January 2021.
- Co-Panelist, “Pipeline Development: Legal Challenges and Federal Permitting Issues,” Marcellus Shale Coalition’s Shale Insight 2020, September 29, 2020.
- Author, “CWA § 404 Nationwide Permits (NWPs),” RMMLF Water Law Newsletter, Vol. LIII, No. 2 (2020).
- Co-Author, “PADEP Proposes Significant Changes to Permitting Process for Stream and Wetland Impacts,” RMMLF Water Law Newsletter, Vol. LIII, No. 2 (2020).
- Co-Author, “Ninth Circuit Denies Emergency Motion for Partial Stay of Montana District Court’s NWP 12 Vacatur,” The PIOGA Press, June 2020.
- Co-Author, “Pa. Proposes Changes for Permitting Projects With Stream, Wetland Impacts,” PA Law Weekly, June 11, 2020.
- Co-Author, “Potential Clean Water Act Liability Extends to Discharges to Groundwater that Reach Surface Water,” The PIOGA Press, May 2020.
- Co-Author, “DEP Will Consider Requests to Temporarily Suspend Environmental Requirements Due to COVID-19,” The PIOGA Press, April 2020.
- Co-Author, “New WOTUS Definition Finalized, New Challenges Expected,” The PIOGA Press, February 2020.
- Co-Author, “New Clean Water Act Developments, Same Uncertainty,” The PIOGA Press, October 2019.
- Co-Presenter, “Environmental Issues,” Women’s Energy Network’s Greater Pittsburgh Chapter’s Inaugural Educational Conference, September 27, 2019.
- Presenter, “Waters of the U.S. Update,” West Virginia Chamber’s 2019 Environmental and Energy Conference, May 15, 2019.
- Co-Author, “Newly Proposed Definition of ‘Waters of the United States’ Could Ease Federal Compliance Burdens for Oil and Gas Sector,” The PIOGA Press, January 2019.
- Author, “EPA and Army Corps Again Propose to Redefine ‘Waters of the United States’,” PA Law Weekly, January 10, 2019.
- Co-Author, “Water Law Update: Recent Developments Expected to Affect the Natural Gas Industry,” The PIOGA Press, November 2018.
- Co-Author, “The Clean Water Rule is Delayed in Response to U.S. Supreme Court Decision,” The PIOGA Press, February 2018.
- Co-Presenter, “How to Run a Meeting,” WVONGA’s Fourth Annual Embracing Energy Conference, November 9-10, 2017.
- Co-Author, “Proposed Definition of ‘Waters of the United States’ Would Bring Significant Changes to Oil and Gas Activities,” The PIOGA Press, May 2014.
- Co-Author, “Perspectives on Proposed Chapter Regulatory Changes,” The PIOGA Press, June 2013.
- Presenter, “Introduction to West Virginia’s Horizontal Well Control Act,” Michael Late Benedum Chapter, American Association of Professional Landmen Meeting, February 9, 2012.
- Author, “2011: An Unconventional Year for Unconventional Gas Development in PA,” The PIOGA Press, January 2012.
- Presenter, “Responding to Water Claims,” WVONGA Fall Meeting in Roanoke, WV, September 28, 2011.
- Presenter, “Emerging Environmental Issues in Natural Gas Development,” PIOGA Spring Convention at Seven Springs, May 25, 2011. This presentation was then cited in “Wastewater Practices Enter New Era,” The American Oil & Gas Reporter, July 2011.
- Author, “What’s Around the Corner in Marcellus Shale Development,” Lexicon, the alumni magazine of Penn State University, Dickinson School of Law, Spring 2011.
- Author, “Preparing for and Addressing Water Loss Claims,” The PIOGA Press, April 2011.
- Co-Author, “Don’t Forget an Upcoming Reporting Deadline for Two Environmental Programs!,” The PIOGA Press, February 2011.
- Co-Author, “Pennsylvania Marcellus Shale Play,” Environmental Transactions and Brownfields Committee Newsletter, American Bar Association, Vol. 13 No. 1, January 2011.
- Author, “Pennsylvania Oil and Gas Law,” chapter in Pennsylvania Environmental Law and Practice, published by the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, August 2010.
- Presenter, “Spill Prevention Plans and Release Reporting at Oil and Gas Sites,” PIOGA Annual Meeting, June 2010.
- Presenter, “Water Law Update – 2010,” ORC Worldwide Corporate Environmental Forum, February 1, 2010.
- Presenter, “PPC Plans – Top Ten Points to Remember,” IOGA PA Annual Meeting, May 20, 2009.
- Presenter, “Environmental Challenges to Real Estate Development in Pennsylvania,” Lorman Education Services, June 12, 2008.
- Presenter, “Water Law Update – 2008,” ORC Worldwide Corporate Environmental Forum, May 5, 2008.
- Presenter, “Water Law Update – 2006,” ORC Worldwide Corporate Environmental Forum, August 7, 2006.
- Presenter, “All Appropriate Inquiry – A Practitioner’s Perspective,” ORC Worldwide Corporate Environmental Forum, February 8, 2006.
- Presenter, “Stormwater Issues for Solicitors,” Westmoreland Bar Association, January 12, 2006.
- Presenter, “Urban Development and Redevelopment in Pennsylvania,” Lorman Education Services, December 8, 2005.
- Presenter, “Current Issues in Stormwater Regulation in Pennsylvania,” Lorman Education Services, October 20, 2005.