Harlan S. Stone
Area of Emphasis
Harley Stone is a shareholder in Babst Calland’s Public Sector and Energy and Natural Resources groups. He provides a wide range of services to municipal governments, authorities and private developers, with an emphasis on municipal permitting, planning, land use, and zoning. A seasoned trial lawyer, Mr. Stone has many years of experience as a litigator in the areas of municipal law, employment law, and tax assessment appeals.
Mr. Stone earned his B.A., with honors, from Brown University in 1976. He received his J.D. from the University of Pittsburgh School of Law in 1979, where he was a member of the University of Pittsburgh Law Review.
Memberships and Affiliations
Mr. Stone is admitted to practice in Pennsylvania and before the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, Supreme Court of the United States, United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, and United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania. He is a member of the Allegheny County Bar Association, Allegheny County & Western Pennsylvania Association of Township Commissioners (AC&WPTAC), Association of Municipal and School Solicitors, and the Local Government Academy. Mr. Stone is the immediate past president of the Rodef Shalom Congregation, the oldest and largest reform Jewish congregation in southwest Pennsylvania. He has been rated by Martindale-Hubbell as AV Preeminent, Peer Rated for the Highest Level of Professional Excellence since 2009.
Mr. Stone is a frequent lecturer on government ethics, the Pennsylvania Sunshine Act and the Right-to-Know Law. Some of his recent presentations include:
- Presenter, “Beyond the Ethics Act,” Local Government Academy, Robert Morris University, Allegheny County, Pa., February 15, 2020.
- Co-Presenter, “A Supreme Court Decision That Will Change the Way You Condemn Properties,” Allegheny County & Western PA Association of Township Commissioners’ Joint Fall Conference, Erie, Pa., October 5, 2019.
- Co-Presenter, “Zoning of Tiny Houses, Air B&Bs, and Short-Term Rentals,” Fall Conference of Townships, Boroughs, and Authorities, Seven Springs Resort, Pa., September 29, 2018.
- Co-Presenter, “Litigating Real Estate Taxes and Payment in Lieu of Tax Agreements for Tax Exempt Properties,” Pennsylvania Association of Housing and Redevelopment Authorities, 2015 Capital Conference, Harrisburg, Pa., February 23, 2015.
- Co-Presenter, “The Legal Issues Making Headlines – Key Developments in Commercial Law and Litigation Updates,” DMC Commercial Law and Litigation Group CLE Seminar, November 20, 2014.
Harlan S. Stone
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Public Sector
B.A., Brown University, with honors, '76
J.D., University of Pittsburgh School of Law, '79