Michael H. Winek
Area of Emphasis
Michael Winek is a member of the Environmental and Energy and Natural Resources groups of Babst Calland. Mr. Winek has extensive experience in a wide range of environmental regulatory programs, with an emphasis on regulatory issues arising under the Clean Air Act.
Mr. Winek devotes a substantial amount of time advising clients on complex air permitting issues (such as PSD, NSR and state construction permits) for plant expansions and projects. In addition to new source permitting, he advises industrial clients with respect to Title V operating permits, CAM requirements, and self-reporting and compliance certification issues arising under the Title V program. Mr. Winek routinely advises clients as to regulatory compliance with NESHAPs, MACT, RMP, CFCs, asbestos issues, and SIP requirements. He has provided environmental due diligence services and advice as part of acquisitions involving industrial facilities. Mr. Winek represents various industrial facilities in air enforcement cases.
Mr. Winek has considerable experience with clientele in the following industries: iron and steel manufacturing, portland cement, lime manufacturing, coal, oil and gas, power generation, and chemical manufacturing.
Mr. Winek has advised clients with respect to climate change issues and the impact that this growing concern will have on various types of industries. He continues to follow the development of regulatory programs and initiatives regarding climate change and the regulation of greenhouse gas emissions.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Winek was a clinical toxicologist in a private laboratory in Pittsburgh.
Mr. Winek earned his B.S. cum laude in Chemical Engineering from Tufts University in 1986, his M.S. in Forensic Chemistry from Duquesne University in 1990, and his J.D. magna cum laude from Duquesne University School of Law in 1993. Mr. Winek graduated first in his class.
Memberships and Affiliations
Mr. Winek is a member of the Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio and American Bar associations. He has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America© in the Environmental Law Section since 2013 by BL Rankings.
- Winek, Michael H. and Rice, Seth A. “Climate Change: What Is Really Happening That Will Affect Your Business,” Going Green: Green Technology and Developments Supplement to The Legal Intelligencer and Pennsylvania Law Weekly, June 16, 2008.
- Winek, Michael H. “EPA’s Regulatory Version of the Clear Skies Act—Interstate Air Quality and Mercury Rules,” 25 Energy & Min. L. Inst. ch. 4 (2005).
- Winek, Michael H. and Hawks, Ronald L. “NSR Reform: Update on the New Regulations and Their Impact on Air Permitting,” Iron and Steel Technology, June 2004.
- Winek, Michael H. and Shannon, Maureen A. “MACT Hammer Will Strike Industry,” Environmental Law Supplement to The Legal Intelligencer and Pennsylvania Law Weekly, Vol. XXV, No. 14, April 8, 2002.
- Winek, Michael H. and Gambino, Monica. “Preventing Catastrophic Releases of Hazardous Chemicals: PSM and RMPs,” Pennsylvania Law Weekly, Vol. XX, No. 20, 1997.
- Winek, Michael H. and Bluedorn II, Donald C. “Releases from Solid Waste Management Units: A New Approach to Corrective Action Under RCRA,” Journal of Environmental Law & Practice, January/February 1997.