Steven B. Silverman
Area of Emphasis
Steve Silverman is a shareholder in the Litigation, Energy and Natural Resources, and Mobility, Transport and Safety groups of Babst Calland. His practice focuses on commercial litigation, with an emphasis on natural gas title and lease disputes and other energy-related cases. He also devotes a significant amount of his practice to the defense and prosecution of theft of trade secret and non-compete suits. Another significant part of Mr. Silverman’s practice involves Information Technology Law, including licenses, data and document management, and labor and employment matters surrounding the information technology industry..
Mr. Silverman also heads up the firm’s E-Discovery group and devotes a portion of his practice to risk management and cost control issues in that area. He frequently advises companies on the creation of litigation hold policies and data preservation and collection practices. Mr. Silverman has been appointed as an E-Discovery Special Master by the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania and also assisted in the creation of that program by serving on its advisory committee.
Mr. Silverman also regularly serves as a mediator, early neutral evaluator and arbitrator in the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania.
Mr. Silverman graduated cum laude in 1989 from the University of Pittsburgh School of Law, where he served as Managing Editor of the University of Pittsburgh Journal of Law and Commerce. He also graduated with honors in 1986 from Franklin and Marshall College.
Memberships and Affiliations
Mr. Silverman is admitted to practice before all Pennsylvania and Ohio courts, the United States District Courts for both the Western and Middle Districts of Pennsylvania and the United States Court of Appeals for the Third, Sixth and Tenth Circuits. He has also been specially admitted to practice before many other state and federal courts throughout the United States. Mr. Silverman is a member of the Allegheny County Bar Association where he serves on its Technology and E-Discovery Committee. He is also a member of the Pennsylvania and American Bar Associations.
Mr. Silverman received an AV Preeminent certification rating in a survey of his peers conducted by the Martindale Hubbell Law Directory. He has been listed in The Best Lawyers of America© in the Information Technology Law Section (formerly titled the Cyber Law Section) since 2005 and the Commercial Litigation Section since 2013 by BL Rankings. Mr. Silverman was also recognized as the Best Lawyers® 2015 and 2017 Information Technology Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Pittsburgh, Pa. He was selected to the 2006-2008, 2010 and 2015-2020 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers lists (Thomson Reuters) for Civil Litigation Defense.
- Lecturer, “The Five Biggest Myths About Non-Compete Agreements,” September 24, 2011.
- Lecturer, “Controlling E-Discovery Costs: Five Proactive Solutions,” May 2010.
- Author, “Why Every Company Must Have A Records Management Plan,” Iron & Steel Technology Magazine, June 2009.
- Lecturer, “A Primer on Computer Forensics: What Every Lawyer Needs to Know Before Hiring an Expert,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute, May 2009.
- Lecturer, “The Basics of Restrictive Covenants,” April, 2009.
- Lecturer, “Records Management Plans: What Every In-House (and Outside) Counsel Needs to Know,” February 2009.
- Lecturer, “The Threat from Within: Monitoring Your Employees’ IT Use,” January 2009.
- Lecturer, “E-Discovery Malpractice Avoidance: What Every Lawyer Must Know About E-Discovery,” November 2007.
- Author, “Preserving Electronic Data: Your Rights and Obligations in an Increasing Paperless World,” Pittsburgh TEQ Magazine, April 2007.
- Lecturer, “Your Duty to Preserve Electronically Stored Information: The New Supreme E-Discovery Rules,” Twelfth Annual BAI Audit, Compliance and e-Security Conference, April 2007.
Steven B. Silverman
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Employment & Labor
- Mobility, Transport & Safety
B.A. in Government, Franklin and Marshall College, with honors, '86
J.D., University of Pittsburgh School of Law, cum laude, '89