Timothy S. Bytner
Area of Emphasis
Tim Bytner is senior counsel in the Environmental Group of Babst Calland. Mr. Bytner focuses his practice primarily on federal and state environmental regulation and litigation. A significant portion of his practice is spent advising clients on matters involving the remediation and reuse of contaminated properties under both state and federal jurisdiction, including counseling clients on Pennsylvania’s Act 2 Land Recycling and Environmental Remediation Standards Act. He has counseled clients on a variety of matters involving storage tank jurisdictional issues and compliance under Pennsylvania’s Storage Tank Program. Mr. Bytner has also counseled clients in environmental compliance issues involving the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, RCRA, EPCRA, CERCLA, and a wide variety of state regulatory issues. He regularly handles wetlands, stream encroachment, and stormwater issues associated with site development. In addition, Mr. Bytner has experience in matters involving environmental emergency response and the Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasure Rule, the Facility Response Rule, and various state planning requirements. He was appointed to the Pennsylvania Storage Tank Advisory Committee in 2009.
Mr. Bytner received a B.S. in Biology from the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown in 1996. He worked as an environmental consultant assisting numerous commercial and industrial clients in environmental regulatory compliance and site remediation/development issues. He performed hundreds of Phase I Environmental Site Assessments and was qualified as an environmental professional as defined under the All Appropriate Inquiries Rule. In addition, Mr. Bytner received formal training in wetland delineation methods and performed delineations for hundreds of wetlands.
Mr. Bytner received his J.D. from the Duquesne University School of Law in 2007. While at Duquesne, he earned the CALI Excellence for the Future Award for Trial Advocacy. He joined Babst Calland shortly after graduation and his legal experience combined with his extensive technical background have provided a very unique perspective in counseling clients throughout a wide variety of environmental issues.
Memberships and Affiliations
Mr. Bytner was admitted to the Pennsylvania Bar in 2007. He is a member of the Allegheny County, Pennsylvania and American Bar associations. Mr. Bytner is also a member of the Allegheny Mountain Section of the Air and Waste Management Association and the Energy and Mineral Law Foundation.
- Presenter, “Complying with Aboveground and Underground Storage Tanks,” Annual Pennsylvania Chamber Environmental and Energy Conference & Trade Show, April 12, 2017.
- Presenter, “MS4 Requirements and the EPA,” Pennsylvania State Association of Boroughs webinar, September 3, 2014.
- Presenter, “Underground and Aboveground Storage Tanks,” Pennsylvania Chamber of Business and Industry Fall Environmental Conference Series, Fall 2014.
- Presenter, “Climate Change Primer,” 2014 Annual Pennsylvania Chamber Environmental and Energy Conference & Trade Show, April 10, 2014.
- Presenter, “Basics in Complying with Underground and Aboveground Storage Tanks,” Pennsylvania Chamber of Business and Industry, February 7, 2013.
- Presenter, “Stormwater Permitting for Construction Projects in Pennsylvania,” 2012 Current Issues in Stormwater Regulation in Pennsylvania, Lorman Education Services, September 2012.
- Presenter, “Storage Tanks 101,” 2012 Annual Pennsylvania Chamber Environmental and Energy Conference & Trade Show, April 2012.
- Bytner, Timothy S. and Wolfson, Timothy C. “Testing Science via the Information Quality Act,” Toxic Torts Newsletter, DRI, Volume 14, Issue 2, October 7, 2011.
- Bytner, Timothy S. and Wolfson, Timothy C. “The Information Quality Act: Another Tool for Young Lawyers,” The Environmental Litigator, American Bar Association, Spring 2011.
- Presenter, “Environmental Health & Safety 101,” 2010 Indiana County Business Expo.
- Presenter, “EPA’s Construction Stormwater Final Rule,” Construction Law 2009 – The Year in Review, presented by Babst Calland, January 2010.
- Bytner, Timothy S. and Lucas, Blaine A. “Environmental Remediation,” Pennsylvania County News, January/February 2009.
- Presenter, “Stormwater Permitting Issues for Oil & Gas Activities in Pennsylvania,” Pennsylvania Oil & Gas Association’s 90th Annual Meeting and Convention, September 2008.
Timothy S. Bytner
B.S. in Biology, University of Pittsburgh, '96
J.D., Duquesne University School of Law, '07