We have a thorough understanding of the Jones Act, the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act, the Carriage of Goods by Seas Act, the Death on the High Seas Act, the Harter Act and the Oil Pollution Act. In addition, we are familiar with the laws and procedures of the U.S. Coast Guard and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
Our experience includes representing marine clients in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio and elsewhere in matters that include:
- Defense of personal injury claims brought by seaman under the Jones Act.
- Defense of both compensation and liability claims under the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act.
- Maritime property and casualty claims, including claims involving vessel collisions and allisions.
- Claims for loss or damage to property, cargo and/or freight arising intermodally from vessels, rails or trucks.
- Enforcement of maritime liens against vessels and cargo.
Seizures of vessels and/or cargo.
- Claims involving breakaways of vessels from fleets or tows and resulting third-party claims.
- Matters involving the sinking of vessels.
Issues involving the ownership and use of riparian areas.
- Limitation of liability actions seeking to limit the liability of vessel owners in regard to injury, death and/or property damage claims.
- Defending wheelhouse personnel in Coast Guard licensing matters.
- Defending vessel owners in Coast Guard investigations of casualties.
- Engaging in litigation with the Army Corps of Engineers regarding damage to locks, dams and other structures.