Jennifer L. Malik
Area of Emphasis
Jenn Malik is a shareholder in Babst Calland’s Public Sector and Energy and Natural Resources groups. Ms. Malik’s practice focuses primarily on healthcare benefits administration, insurance coverage, and appellate law – with an emphasis on zoning and land use.
Ms. Malik’s healthcare benefits administration practice includes counseling Firm clients on a wide array of federal and state health laws and regulations, including compliance under HIPAA, the Affordable Care Act, the Consolidated Appropriations Act, and the Public Health Services Act. She also assists Firm clients in providing comprehensive coverage analyses under commercial liability, property, professional liability, and fiduciary policies.
Ms. Malik also represents both public and private-sector clients on a wide array of zoning and land use appeals before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court and Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court.
Ms. Malik graduated from the University of Texas at Austin with a B.A. in Philosophy in 2008. She earned her J.D. from the University of Houston Law Center in 2011.
Memberships and Affiliations
Ms. Malik is admitted to practice law in Texas and Pennsylvania. She is also admitted before the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania. She is a member of the Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, Lawrence County and Texas Bar associations. Ms. Malik received a Best Lawyers®: Ones to Watch recognition from BL Rankings for Land Use and Zoning Law since 2022 and for Municipal Law for 2023. She is also Chair of the Firm’s Appellate and Administrative Law Group and a member of the Women’s Initiative.
- Co-Author, “A Field Guide to the Compensation Disclosure Requirements Under Section 202 of the Consolidated Appropriations Act,” December 14, 2021.
- Panelist, “How to Use Your Solicitor Efficiently and Effectively,” Pennsylvania State Association of Townships, October 20, 2021.
- Panelist, “The Implications of the Consolidated Appropriations Act,” Pittsburgh Business Group on Health, August 11, 2021.
- Panelist, “The Latest Developments in Administrative and Appellate Practice in Pennsylvania and West Virginia,” Babst Calland Webinar, April 29, 2021.
- Co-Presenter, “Local Government Regulation of Oil and Gas Operations,” Energy and Mineral Law Institute 2019, February 6, 2020.
- Co-Author, “Court Strikes Down Home Rule Municipality’s Right-of-Way Ordinance as Preempted by PUC,” The Legal Intelligencer, October 17, 2019.
- Co-Author, “A Second Slice: Practice Considerations of Short Term Rentals,” The Legal Intelligencer, June 20, 2019.
- Co-Author, “State Supreme Court Declines Case Rejecting Challenge to Zoning Ordinance Allowing Drilling in All Districts,” The PIOGA Press, June 2019.
- Co-Author, “The Whereabouts of Weed: Zoning Implications of the Medical Marijuana Act,” The Legal Intelligencer, February 14, 2019.